Goodell - and anyone who has been paying attention since former San Francisco 49er Colin Kaepernick started the protest in 2016 - knows why the protests are happening. The meeting between owners and players ended with no agreement on the thorny issue of protests during "The Star-Spangled Banner", which has bitterly divided the sport and fans of the game.
Commissioner Roger Goodell and several owners said Tuesday at the league's fall meetings that altering the language from "should stand" to "must stand" was not discussed.
Cavs finalizing deal to trade Richard Jefferson, Kay Felder to Atlanta Hawks
Too soon". "These situations and decisions are some of the toughest to be in and have to make", said Cavaliers general manager Koby Altman.
The petition came days after NFL team owners, executives and players met in NY, where they decided that the league would not implement a rule forcing players to stand for "The Star-Spangled Banner".
"I think our clubs all see this the same way - we want our players to stand, we're going to encourage them to stand and we're going to continue to work on these issues in the community", Goodell told reporters, according to the NFL. It alienates too many patriotic people of good will who bristle at what they perceive as disrespect of the country's basic symbols. Trump tweeted early Wednesday morning.
The statement continued: "As we said last week, everyone who is part of our National Football League community has a tremendous respect for our country, our flag, our anthem and our military". Stop listening to a president who calls these black players "sons of bitches". "We hope and are going to try to get that to zero", Goodell said. The president has targeted the protests as disrespecting the flag and the troops, when in fact, the players and others participating in the protests have specifically stated that they are taking a knee in protest of the racial inequality in the United States. Until people like Trump, who refused to condemn racists, white supremacists and KKK, begin a dialogue, protests will continue.
- Gorkhaland Agitation: SI killed, three injured in police-GJM clash in Darjeeling
- Tension runs high ahead of allies' joint military drill
- 2nd ODI: Zaman departs early as Pakistan at 25-1
- MRI on knee comes back clean
- Katy Perry left hanging at concert after prop malfunctions
- Jose's injury update after win over Benfica
- Thousands of Rohingya refugees stranded near Bangladesh-Myanmar border
- Liam Payne's New Song Is Full Of Breakup (And Makeup) Sex
- Garmin Speak is a GPS That Puts Alexa In Your Car
- North Korean Diplomat: Nuclear War May Break out at any Moment