The NFL announced Sunday night that Timberlake will headline the Super Bowl halftime show February 4 in Minnesota.
Justin Timberlake has finally been invited back to the Super Bowl halftime show, 14 years after the "wardrobe malfunction" with Janet Jackson caused a national controversy. That year, the crossover artist's perofrmance with Janet Jackson on the song "Rock Your Body" was a cultural and political watershed moment after he pulled off her nipple guard and briefly exposed her right breast. In the wake of that production, which also featured Kid Rock (clad in an American flag poncho), P. Diddy and Nelly, the league began trotting out a string of tamer, rock-oriented acts, such as Paul McCartney, the Rolling Stones, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen and the Who.
The Grammy award-winning singer revealed this on Sunday with a skit that saw him goofing off with Jimmy Fallon. And Timberlake yells, "I'm doing halftime!"
"Mike, that's not going to happen", Timberlake said during his Sunday Night Football appearance, referring to the blunder.
Trump launches petition to stand for national anthem
Until people like Trump, who refused to condemn racists, white supremacists and KKK, begin a dialogue, protests will continue. Trump tweeted early Wednesday morning.
As for what he hoped to achieve with his halftime show, Timberlake said it would be a success if it "feels like it unifies".
The NFL confirmed Timberlake as the performer in a statement online. "I feel like that would be the ultimate accomplishment, and then the icing on the cake is at some point within that 12 minutes that everybody is shaking their booty".
Lady Gaga performed at last year's game, with the year before featuring a performance by Coldplay, Beyonce and Bruno Mars to commemorate Super Bowl 50.
- Arsene Wenger blames referee after Arsenal suffer shock defeat at Watford
- MRI on knee comes back clean
- First female missing journalist returns home after two years
- North Korean Diplomat: Nuclear War May Break out at any Moment
- Tesla fires hundreds of employees over bad performance
- Trump's latest travel ban blocked by Hawaii judge
- What Wi-Fi Security Problem? Windows is Already Patched
- Thousands of Rohingya refugees stranded near Bangladesh-Myanmar border
- Cavs finalizing deal to trade Richard Jefferson, Kay Felder to Atlanta Hawks
- Katy Perry left hanging at concert after prop malfunctions