Despite selling around 35 million units, Co.Design reported that Microsoft will stop making the Kinect once retailers sell-out of their existing stock. The core sensor, which Co.Design have revealed a previously unannounced v5 version of, is one of the technologies used in the Microsoft Hololens, Microsoft's ambitious take on the world of augmented reality.
While I never used the Kinect camera much myself, I always appreciated the concept of the tech.
Microsoft has ended production of Kinect, its motion-tracking games controller.
Pollution: Killer of lives and growth
It is also three times more fatal than AIDS , tuberculosis, and malaria combined, one-and-a-half times more lethal than smoking. The US is the only developed country in the top 10.
That doesn't, however, mean Kinect will go down as a forgotten dead-end technology. "That was our goal with the Xbox One launch", said Matthew Lapsen, GM of Xbox Devices Marketing.
At the launch of the Xbox One, Microsoft tried to refocus interest on the Kinect 2.0 sensor, packaging one with each console as standard, and heavily integrating voice and movement functionality into the console's OS.
Microsoft initially touted Kinect as the next level of motion control, one that eschewed physical, hands-on controllers by using the human body itself for input. No further units will be produced and only the remaining stock of the units now in stores will be available for sale, though support for the device will continue for customers that now have it for Xbox consoles.
Microsoft has been slowly chipping away at the Kinect's usefulness and features across its platforms, yet today's news still comes as something of a shock. That investment will finally pay off (or not) with the iPhone X. Inside the phone's notch is the Face ID system, a depth-sensing infrared camera that relies on Kinect-like algorithms to map faces. It was May of 2014 that the Xbox One was re-released sans Kinect. The Kinect team, meanwhile, has already moved on to create other products, such as Cortana and Windows Hello. Did you have fun with Dance Central and Kinect Sports back in the day, or were you against it from day one?
- Trump launches petition to stand for national anthem
- Katy Perry left hanging at concert after prop malfunctions
- Thousands of Rohingya refugees stranded near Bangladesh-Myanmar border
- Orionid meteor shower: Lack of moonlight makes for excellent viewing conditions
- GM's earnings beat, forecast lift shares; supply glut shrinks
- Trump's latest travel ban blocked by Hawaii judge
- Las Vegas shooting: Stephen Paddock's laptop is missing its hard drive
- Egypt: 50 policemen killed during clashes with militants
- Martavis Bryant reportedly wants out of Pittsburgh again, rips JuJu Smith-Schuster
- Albert Einstein's 'secret to happiness' note sells for $1.9m