A win for Chelsea would secure a last-16 spot with two games to spare in Group C. Despite being a 3-3 draw, it was proof of the desire of both teams to go for it. The ball fell to the winger after some good target man work from Edin Dzeko and the Italian struck a thunderbolt of a shot with the outside of his right foot, before watching it fly past Thibault Courtois in the Chelsea goal.
To their credit Chelsea responded well and had a great chance of their own just moments after the opening goal.
Hazard - who scored a brace in the first leg along with Dzeko - was omnipresent early for Chelsea with Alisson saving twice at the near post, Alvaro Morata also missing an opportunity in front of goal for the English champions.
El Shaarawy also scored an impressive goal in Roma's 1-0 win over Bologna on Saturday, and his form will be welcome to Italy coach Gian Piero Ventura ahead of the Azzurri's World Cup playoff with Sweden.
Simona Halep ousted from 2017 WTA Finals by Elina Svitolina
On to Rome, where she defeated fellow WTA Finals competitors Karolina Pliskova , Garbine Muguruza and Simona Halep consecutively. Svitolina before coming to the court has lost even theoretical chances of getting into the semi Final of the tournament.
Marcos Alonso cut in from the left and forced Alisson to push a rasping shot behind, while Bakayoko compounded Chelsea's woes by powering a header wastefully wide from the resulting corner. The 24-year old elected to leave a long pass from Radja Nainggolan, assuming it would run on to his goalkeeper, but instead El Shaarawy nipped in and guided the ball home with a deft flick to extend the home side's lead. Either way Diego Perotti, who alongside Kolarov caused Chelsea all sorts of problems, will start on the left.
"Our group is a tough group with Atletico Madrid and Roma". Kostas Manolas should be fit to return to the central defence alongside Federico Fazio, fresh from signing a contract extension, who has impressed since replacing the Greek against Napoli two weeks ago and been key in the subsequent three straight clean sheets in the league (admittedly against middling and outright poor opposition).
The Blues take on Roma tonight looking to make up for dropping valuable points in Group C qualification last time out against the Serie A side.
- Winx makes it 22 straight - just - with Cox Plate win
- Albert Einstein's 'secret to happiness' note sells for $1.9m
- Hamas terror tunnel discovered under United Nations refugee agency's school in Gaza
- Pollution: Killer of lives and growth
- Martavis Bryant reportedly wants out of Pittsburgh again, rips JuJu Smith-Schuster
- GM's earnings beat, forecast lift shares; supply glut shrinks
- Trump declares Public Health Emergency to Combat Opioid Crisis
- Power of Passport: India fares worse than Zimbabwe, but better than Pakistan
- Las Vegas shooting: Stephen Paddock's laptop is missing its hard drive
- Tesla Building Electric Car Factory In China