NTPC said in a statement, according to NDTV, "An unfortunate accident in the boiler of 500MW under trial unit of NTPC - Unchahar occurred this afternoon".
Another survivor said that hot ash rained on the labourers, who were working near the boiler.
Early reports stated that eight people had died, but by 8 pm, the death toll reached 14, DK Singh, Chief Medical Officer, Rae Bareli, confirmed to Firstpost.
Among those injured, 22 with severe burn injuries have been sent to the state capital Lucknow for treatment, while 15 are in another hospital within the district, Uttar Pradesh police said on a verified Twitter account. Injured persons are being shifted to the nearby hospitals...
This plant was originally set up by the then UP State Electricity Board (UPSEB) and commissioned in 1986.
Officials said they have rushed police teams, disaster management personnel, and ambulances to the spot.
Japanese man arrested after parts of nine bodies found in home
A man who lives on the same floor as the suspect said he noticed an "odd smell" when he walked past the apartment in August. The body parts, contained in cooler boxes in the man's apartment, include at least two severed heads, they said.
A senior police official told the media that 10 bodies have been recovered so far from the site.
Chief Minister Adityanath, who is away in Mauritius on a three-day official visit, has ordered that necessary steps be taken for rescue and relief.
Gandhi represents the Raebareli parliamentary constituency in the Lok Sabha.
The Uttar Pradesh government announced a compensation of Rs 2 lakh for the families of the deceased. The plant has five other generating units of 210 MW each and the total installed capacity is 1,550 MW.
NTPC's Unchahar plant is a coal-based power station that provides power to Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Punjab, Rajasthan, Chandigarh, Delhi, Uttranchal.
- University of Utah students told to shelter in place amid reported shooting
- MLB Suspends Gurriel For 5 Games Next Season
- State records first flu-related death for the season
- Music Launch: All You Should Know About Rajinikanth, Akshay Kumar's Grand Event
- RIP Kinect: Microsoft stops manufacturing Xbox and Windows add-on device
- Linkin Park's Emotional Chester Bennington Tribute Song "Looking For An Answer"
- Las Vegas shooting: Stephen Paddock's laptop is missing its hard drive
- Albert Einstein's 'secret to happiness' note sells for $1.9m
- Simona Halep ousted from 2017 WTA Finals by Elina Svitolina
- Trump declares Public Health Emergency to Combat Opioid Crisis