A Japanese man who strangled nine people, sexually assaulted them and dismembered their bodies was killing at a rate of one a week for two months before he was caught, police suspect.
"I killed (a person) and dismembered the body and put them into a cooler box with cat litter in order to hide the evidence", Shiraishi said, according to police, as reported by CNN.
A police official, who spoke to The Associated Press on Tuesday said that a toolbox and saw found in Shiraishi's apartment may have been used to dismember the bodies.
An investigation was launched after the woman?s older brother reported her missing to the Takao Police Station in western Tokyo on October 24.
The body parts, contained in cooler boxes in the man's apartment, include at least two severed heads, they said.
Shiraishi has, for now, been arrested on the charges of dismembering only one body.
Martavis Bryant reportedly wants out of Pittsburgh again, rips JuJu Smith-Schuster
Either way, the Steelers' options are less than ideal against the backdrop of the hope Bryant represented to start the season. He is now fourth on the team with 18 receptions and is slowly watching rookie receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster's role increase.
Tokyo's Metropolitan Police Department on Tuesday arrested the apartment's resident, Shiraishi Takahiro, 27, on suspicion of abandoning bodies sometime between August 22 and Monday.
Police will conduct DNA tests to conclusively identify the victims, the website reported. The brother later learned of the suicide site after logging in using her name and password, and found she had been in touch with the suspect.
A man who lives on the same floor as the suspect said he noticed an "odd smell" when he walked past the apartment in August.
Police conducted the search after security camera footage showed Shiraishi walking with the woman, who has been missing from her Hachioji home since earlier this month, near JR Hachioji Station and near the Odakyu Line's Sobudaimae Station near his home on October 23. "I thought it was the smell of sewage", he said. He added: "It was something I never smelled before".
Kyodo news agency said the missing girl is believed to have come into contact with Shiraishi via Twitter, after she posted the message: "I want to die but doing so alone is awful".
- Las Vegas shooting: Stephen Paddock's laptop is missing its hard drive
- Simona Halep ousted from 2017 WTA Finals by Elina Svitolina
- Power of Passport: India fares worse than Zimbabwe, but better than Pakistan
- Hamas terror tunnel discovered under United Nations refugee agency's school in Gaza
- MLB Suspends Gurriel For 5 Games Next Season
- Music Launch: All You Should Know About Rajinikanth, Akshay Kumar's Grand Event
- Victor denied trophy - because she's a GIRL
- Aaron Rodgers says Anthony Barr gave him the finger after devastating hit
- Buffalo Bills acquire Benjamin in trade with Panthers
- Justin Timberlake to perform at Super Bowl halftime show