"I don't like him". I don't know much about him, but I know he's a blowhard. And if you talk to those around him, they have confidence in his leadership.
George HW Bush said he voted for Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton, while his son told Mr Updegrove he did not vote for anyone.
In the book, titled "The Last Republicans", the 41 president also revealed that he voted for Trump's Democrat rival Clinton in the 2016 White House race.
The White House on Saturday disparaged the legacies of the only two living Republican presidents to precede Donald Trump, after reports that both men castigated Trump in interviews previous year and refused to vote for him.
Violence hits Druze village Hader in Syria's Quneitra
Opposed to the Syrian regime, the jihadist group is the dominant faction in the northwestern rebel-held province of Idlib. The military said forces brought back some who managed to cross over.
As he watched Trump's campaign, the younger Bush feared he - Bush - would "be the last Republican president", said the author, who founded the National Medal of Honor Museum this year, after several years as director of the Lyndon Baines Johnson Presidential Library and Museum.
In a speech on October 19, W. Bush took aim at bullying from public figures while Trump was embroiled in a feud with a Democratic congresswoman over whether he made an insensitive remark to the grieving wife of a fallen soldier.
The interview took place in May 2016, while Trump was steamrolling his way through a packed field of Republican presidential hopefuls to the nomination. But under Updegrove's analysis of their values and those of past Republican presidents compared to Trump's exhibition of Republicanism, the title still stands.
Barack Obama, who has been more directly under fire from Trump, had recently hit back by speaking of the return of "politics of division that we have seen so many times before that dates back centuries". White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders told NBC News. A representative said his comments weren't meant to criticize Trump.
- Japanese man arrested after parts of nine bodies found in home
- Winx makes it 22 straight - just - with Cox Plate win
- Selena Gomez and The Weeknd split over the distance
- Iran Leader Warns about Sabotage in Tehran-Baku Ties
- Sessions Suddenly Remembers Russia Conversation He Said Didn't Happen
- Manchester United's Bailly warns against underrating Benfica
- Hamas terror tunnel discovered under United Nations refugee agency's school in Gaza
- May consider fixing time for Delhi LG to clear files, indicates SC
- Tom Savage: 'You Can't Really Replace Deshaun Watson' After Season-Ending Injury
- Atlanta Falcons: Hand off Game to Panthers Lose First Division Game