"I was walking towards Oxford Street Station and Carnaby Street was just completely empty and everyone was hiding in the stores, no one knew what was going on", one witness told HuffPost UK on Friday.
One patient was transferred to a major trauma centre for leg injuries, while eight people were taken to central London hospitals for minor injuries.
"Officers working with colleagues from British Transport Police carried out an urgent search of the area".
But no casualties, no evidence of any shots fired, or suspects were found, and shortly after 6pm the police operation was stood down and people were allowed to leave buildings they were sheltering in.
Around 4:30 p.m. local time on Friday, armed police rushed to respond to multiple reports of shots fired in the area.
Selfridges later said the evacuation of its shop was a precautionary measure and there were "no reported incidents in store".
Eden Hazard Says Chelsea is Ready and Rested for Liverpool
It is very positive for us in a game that I knew very well it wouldn't be easy. Unused subs: Kanibolotskiy, Amirguliyev, Ismayilov, Sheydaev.
There was no evidence any weapons had been fired, police said.
Mattias Nilsson, 45, said he was in town with friends for a Premier League soccer match and was near the station when he heard people shouting, "Shooting!"
"Officers are responding to reports of an incident at Oxford Circus station", British Transport Police said earlier on Twitter.
"There were people running in all directions". Everybody turned round in sort of pandemonium and started trying to exit the Tube as quickly as possible. I ran out on to the street but it was nearly as if no one knew anything had happened down below. "I am glad nobody was hurt", she said. "The station is now closed, please avoid the area at this time", they said.
Paying tribute to the "swift response" of emergency services, mayor Sadiq Khan urged Londoners to "remain vigilant and don't panic".
A bomb attack at different London train station in September brought the total number of terror attacks in the U.K.to at least five in 2017 alone.
- Today, We May Learn How the FCC Plans to Destroy Net Neutrality
- We never proposed to make Donald Trump Person of the Year
- Rahul Gandhi set take over as Congress president on early December
- Wishbone and Drumstick Must Strut Stuff to Receive Presidential Pardon
- Bill Clinton accused by 4 different women of sexual harassment
- Bill Belichick, Drew Bledsoe React To Terry Glenn's Death: 'A Sad Day'
- Guess Who's Now Performing at the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show?
- Temperatures will soar into the 90s on Thanksgiving in Fontana
- Trump administration plans to end protected status for about 60000 Haitian immigrants
- CNN's Clarissa Ward: Trump's Attack on CNN International 'Emboldens' Hostile Foreign Governments