Fisher made $5.7 million this year and was the sixth highest paid coach in the country.
Florida State concludes the regular season by hosting Louisiana-Monroe on Saturday.
Fisher spent the past 11 seasons with the Seminoles, the last eight as head coach.
His silence on whether he is going to take the open Texas A&M job has reportedly ruffled the feathers of some high-ranking FSU athletic officials and boosters, who seem resigned to the idea that Fisher wants out of Tallahassee. His annual salary at FSU placed him near the top of all college football coaches, and his hiring is a clear sign that Texas A&M won't settle for being a second-tier school in the conference.
However, despite being ranked No. 3 heading into this season, Florida State has just five wins and is merely aiming to become bowl eligible. Sumlin was 51-26 in his career at Texas A&M, but the administration had grew exhausted of Sumlin after his apparent failures to build upon the 11-2 record in his first season at the school. Their last conference title came in 2014, with the season bottoming out at 5-6 heading into this weekend's rescheduled game.
Florida State University has one of the premier programs in college football and has had only two head football coaches in the past 40 years. Odell Haggins coached the Seminoles to the victory.
Miami coach Mark Richt: "I've been through it, so I know job changes can happen".
I would tell our supporters and fans the same thing that I told our team: we will hire a head coach that will lead Florida State to ACC and National Championships; one who will maintain our commitment to academic excellence; and one who will make you proud to be a Seminole.
"Florida State is Florida State". I am confident we will fill the position very soon.
"Obviously, he feels like it's the right move for him".
Epic Games defends lawsuit against 14-year-old for cheating
Epic Games explained that this means the visuals of the game will be similar to the PC version when it is set to epic quality. She has addressed the court directly through a letter , which attacks Epic's handling of the case on a number of grounds.
- Trump plans to replace Tillerson with Pompeo
- India welcomes Ivanka Trump at business summit
- Now No Need To Leave Chats To Play YouTube Videos
- DC Archdiocese Sues Metro for Rejecting Christmas Ads
- Tennessee finalizing deal with Schiano
- Senate moves closer to passing Republican tax reform package
- Stokes flying to New Zealand, not Adelaide Oval, England says
- 3-4 cups of coffee have more healthy benefits than harm
- First lady goes with classic, traditional Christmas decor
- Dave Doeren, North Carolina State Reportedly Agree to New Contract Extension