"We are encouraging people who have not been vaccinated to get their flu shot now", said Dr. Joe Iser, Chief Health Officer for the Southern Nevada Health District.
In Quebec a year ago the vaccine was only 37 percent effective against the strain of H3N2 that was infecting people. Even at reduced effectiveness, flu vaccination prevents millions of illnesses and tens of thousands of flu-related hospitalizations each year.
And there's more bad news, it seems the dominant strain this year will be H3N2, which is a more severe form of the flu.
"Preventing the flu in as many people as possible is our first priority", says Dr. Crosby.
By getting a shot of inactive flu strains, the body builds an immunity towards the strain which helps fight off the sickness.
U.S. doctors are bracing for a potentially miserable winter because of ineffective flu shots.
Epic Games defends lawsuit against 14-year-old for cheating
Epic Games explained that this means the visuals of the game will be similar to the PC version when it is set to epic quality. She has addressed the court directly through a letter , which attacks Epic's handling of the case on a number of grounds.
Dr. Gordon said the vaccine was about 60 to 70 percent effective a year ago.
The vaccine used in the Southern Hemisphere has the same composition of the one used in North America.
The possibility of a low-effectiveness flu vaccine this year "underscores the need to strive toward a 'universal' influenza vaccine that will protect against seasonal influenza drift variants, as well as potential pandemic strains, with better durability than current annual vaccines", the officials said in their paper. The two people who died were older than 65, according to a release from the health department.
But they say it's still extremely important for people to get vaccinated, as herd immunity - when enough members of a community get vaccinated to prevent a unsafe outbreak - can protect vulnerable members of the community, like children, seniors and people with serious illnesses that impact their immune system. "The best flu vaccine is the one that you get".
The CDC is reporting sporadic flu cases in IN and regional in Kentucky. Last year, the state had 15 flu-related deaths, most among the elderly.
- Apple Rolls Out iOS 11.1.1 Update which Removes Two Annoying Bugs
- DC Archdiocese Sues Metro for Rejecting Christmas Ads
- Aqib Talib ejected following first-quarter fight
- CNN's Clarissa Ward: Trump's Attack on CNN International 'Emboldens' Hostile Foreign Governments
- Irish foreign minister says Brexit border breakthrough possible today
- Which MLB Team Has the Best Shot at Landing Shohei Ohtani?
- We never proposed to make Donald Trump Person of the Year
- Stokes flying to New Zealand, not Adelaide Oval, England says
- First lady goes with classic, traditional Christmas decor
- Salman Khan: Sanjay Leela Bhansali has definitely offended me