The blaze on the east side of the freeway across from the Getty Center is causing massive traffic jams on the 405 freeway and other roadways in the area.
The largest blaze is the Thomas fire in Ventura County, just north of LA, which has devastated 65,000 acres and forced 27,000 people to flee after igniting on Monday evening. Officials for the J. Paul Getty Museum said air filtration systems are protecting the galleries from smoke, but the museum is closed to the public Wednesday. About 700 firefighters responded to what was labeled the Creek Fire.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency authorized the use of federal funds to help battle the Creek Fire, which FEMA said was threatening more than 7,100 homes and two SoCal Edison power transmission lines.
Meanwhile, wildfires continue to ravage Ventura County: "The blaze has consumed 50,500 acres on its journey to the ocean".
Supermoon mesmerises sky-gazers across the world
As a result, the moon appears to be up to 14 percent larger and 30 percent brighter during a supermoon . This is because the previous two were around the time of a new moon, which isn't visible in the sky .
The fire was burning in the same general area as the devastating Bel Air Fire of 1961. The fire consumed 4,000 acres by 8:30 a.m. and blanketed 11,000 acres with zero containment by early afternoon.
The weather conditions were impeding efforts to contain and extinguish the out-of-control blaze, as strong, gusty winds fueled the "extreme" fire behavior, according to the inciweb incident information website. All North Bound lanes of the 405 are closed in the area.
The Los Angeles Police Department ordered mandatory evacuations and the California Department of Transportation closed Intereste 405 between Highway 101 and Interstate 10. Winds were about 15 miles per hour.
Some 105 patients were being voluntarily evacuated from Mountain View Convalescent Center on Fenton Ave in Sylmar, said LAFD, noting that they had no reported injuries from any civilians.
If the fire crosses the 405 freeway, it will hit one of the highest priced residential areas of Brentwood, she added.
- Which MLB Team Has the Best Shot at Landing Shohei Ohtani?
- Salman Khan: Sanjay Leela Bhansali has definitely offended me
- Search for missing NC girl intensifying near her home
- Senate moves closer to passing Republican tax reform package
- YouTube to be withdrawn from Amazon Fire TV in bitter streaming war
- Three get death sentence for rape, murder of minor
- HP, Asus announce first Windows 10 ARM PCs
- First lady goes with classic, traditional Christmas decor
- The airline industry is on course for record profit in 2018
- USA media icons Matt Lauer and Garrison Keillor fired in sex scandals