Paris Saint-Germain's Brazilian forward Neymar (L) and Real Madrid's Portuguese forward Cristiano Ronaldo (R).
Manchester United were paired with Spanish side Sevilla.
PSG ambassador Maxwell said the Real tie threw up the chance for the Parisian club to atone for their 6-1 hammering by Barcelona that eliminated them in the last 16 last season.
No club has won the European title three years running since Bayern Munich in the mid-1970s, underlining how big an achievement it would be if Madrid - 12 times winners overall - won the trophy again in the final in Kiev in May.
Liverpool were drawn to play Porto of Portugal.
"Then when it will be the moment to play against Barcelona we will start to think of the game against Barcelona". It's a attractive challenge for the club.
UNM Rallies in Support of Mikheil Saakashvili
Two protesters and 11 officers were injured in Wednesday's scuffles in Kiev , police said. Saakashvili was first arrested on Tuesday during a raid on his apartment.
English champions Chelsea have also suffered for having to settle for second place in their group behind Roma, with a match-up with Ernesto Valverde's revitalised Barcelona representing a significant hurdle if they are to progress. In this case we must be ready to face Barcelona.
Their most recent encounter was the 2011/12 Champions League semi-final which Chelsea won 3-2 on aggregate as they went on to lift the trophy for the first time in their history.
Who are you backing in this tie? It's welcome. If you want to win the competition, you have to beat everyone.
"We know how strong they are after we followed their games against Leipzig".
Wide cracks in the relationship between manager and board had begun to show around the end of the transfer window, with the Italian frustrated with the club's inability to bring in his top targets while their Premier League rivals struggled with no such issues.
"It's going to be a great knockout tie".
- Portal spin-off Bridge Constructor announced PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch and mobile
- Bayonetta 3 Announced as a Nintendo Switch Exclusive Game
- YouTube to be withdrawn from Amazon Fire TV in bitter streaming war
- Music recognition and AR? Apple is reportedly buying Shazam
- Alita: Battle Angel Trailer
- Liverpool's Mohamed Salah named African footballer of the year
- YouTube Will Launch New Music Streaming Service in 2018
- John Mayer Hospitalized For Emergency Appendectomy
- White House: Trump's throat 'was dry'
- North Korea's Missile Launch Gave Airline Pilots a Jolt