With temperatures expected to stay well below freezing overnight, the Met Office said that ice was likely to be the main hazard, and it warned drivers they should expect longer journey times through today's rush hour.
In Wales, 71 schools were forced to close in Flintshire, 11 in Wrexham and 49 in Denbighshire.
A spokesman for the Met office said: "With cold conditions and some snow lying over parts of England, as well as further rain pushing in from the southeast during the second half of the night, icy stretches have formed on untreated surfaces".
With a low temperature of a chilling -9 degrees, heavy frost is forecast throughout the region.
Hundreds of schools were closed in western England and north Wales, while much of the kingdom was on a yellow weather warning for snow and ice.
It had its busiest day of the year on Monday, with about 25,000 calls from motorists.
All local authority-run schools in the central city of Birmingham were also shut.
People brave the cold as snow falls near Castleton England Saturday. John Giles PA
Forecasters said temperatures will slowly warm during Tuesday but freezing fog patches are expected to linger in areas.
Western Power Distribution said 99,500 customers were cut off on Sunday across the East Midlands, South Wales and the South West.
"Some flights at Heathrow will be disrupted on Monday due to crew and aircraft being out of position following yesterday's weather", it said.
Thousands of homes have been left without power after being hit by the weather. If the status of your flight is cancelled, please do not travel to the airport, keep updated via the airline's website'.
Chiltern Railways, Arriva Trains Wales and Greater Anglia were reporting major delays on Tuesday morning.
P&O ferries are delayed by up to three hours because of the weather. There were 220 homes still without supply in the West Midlands early on Tuesday.
The TUC called on employers not to force staff to make unsafe journeys "for the sake of presenteeism" and to give staff advice on what to do if the weather or lack of public transport kept them away.
YouTube Will Launch New Music Streaming Service in 2018
Remix is owned by Alphabet Inc, a company that is constantly trying to overcome the supremacy of Spotify and Apple Music . Standard YouTube attracts over a billion views every month, and the majority of the content digested is music.
- Russia, India, China foreign ministers meet concludes in New Delhi
- YouTube to be withdrawn from Amazon Fire TV in bitter streaming war
- New Zealand end sevens series drought
- Zaira yelled only during descent: Vistara sources on alleged harassment
- Portal spin-off Bridge Constructor announced PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch and mobile
- Abbas snubs US Vice President Pence over Jerusalem move
- Trump to start process of sending Americans back to moon: White House
- Double hundred is an anniversary gift to my wife: Rohit Sharma
- Alita: Battle Angel Trailer
- 'Ready Player One': Explore the OASIS in Thrilling New Trailer