Sri Lanka's response was purely academic with Mathews' knock going in vain. After being only the third player in ODI history to hit a double ton after Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag, on Wednesday, Rohit became the first player to score three double centuries in ODI history.
Shreyas Iyer (88 off 70), playing his second ODI, batted well alongside Rohit and came up with the big shots just when his team needed to step on the accelerator.
The opener - who is leading India in place of regular skipper Virat Kohli - added: "My strength is timing the ball, I was just looking to time the ball, get in the line of the ball and time the ball". In his innings, he scored 13 boundaries and 12 sixes.
Putin says Russian Federation won't prevent athletes from competing in Pyeongchang - agencies
In the meantime, the International Olympic Committee will conduct tens of thousands of pre-Games doping tests ahead of competition in South Korea.
Rohit's first double ton was against Australia in 2013 in Bengaluru. The third ball, Sharma brought up his double hundred taking two off a push to the mid-wicket area. Among the bowlers, debutant Washington Sundar picked up a wicket in his second over while Yuzvendra Chahal claimed 3. The openers, Rohit and Dhawan, kept the scorecard ticking over with a diet of singles and twos.
Sharma's unbeaten 208 steered the hosts to an imposing 392 for 4 and then restricted Sri Lanka to 251 for 8 to level the three-match series at 1-1 in Mohali.
Sri Lankans failed to recover from Sharma's assault and suffered a massive 141-run defeat in the day-night game. You all may know that he smashed 208* Not out today against Sri Lanka in the second ODI of the series in Mohali. The duo scored 33 runs off first 10 overs without getting separated.
Not having learnt the lessons from last over, Pradeep's full tosses yielded similar results as Sharma showed no mercy to complete his six sixes off last seven balls he faced. In 2014, in Eden Gardens, Rohit, after being dropped on four, thrashed the Sri Lankan bowlers to all corners and made a sensational 173-ball 264 - the highest ever individual score in ODIs.
- Trump to start process of sending Americans back to moon: White House
- Gus Malzahn sends warm SEC welcome to Chad Morris on Twitter
- West Indies out for 221, New Zealand lead by 152
- Esty defends Gillibrand, calls Trump tweet a "sexist attack"
- Portal spin-off Bridge Constructor announced PS4, Xbox One, PC, Switch and mobile
- Russia, India, China foreign ministers meet concludes in New Delhi
- Abbas snubs US Vice President Pence over Jerusalem move
- Amazon Prime Video Features On Apple TV
- New Trump - Wikileaks Email Leak Isn't The Bombshell Everyone Thought It Was
- Fuming Klopp has to take penalty decision on chin