"In keeping with the early influenza activity this season, several indicators of influenza activity are above the expected levels for this time of year", the agency wrote.
The McLean County Health Department said two people have died in the county in an earlier than usual flu outbreak.
"We still definitely recommend people get vaccinated if they've not already been vaccinated", Kirschke said.
The importance of getting the flu shot is especially true for young people and those with chronic medical conditions, she said. But, now they're learning it does offer more protection than that.
So far this flu season, the health unit has confirmed 18 cases of influenza.
Zack Cozart is leaving Cincinnati for Los Angeles
The Reds were, unfortunately, probably never going to re-sign Cozart, as they are mostly going through a rebuild. Cincinnati made Cozart its starter at shortstop the following season, but he didn't truly breakout until 2017.
The influenza virus is among the most likely to cause significant epidemics in humans. The state department reported earlier this week that in Alabama providers are reporting almost 3.6 percent of outpatient visits are due to influenza-like illness.
The same guidelines just announced were developed and temporarily implemented in previous years to address influenza outbreaks. Now, the OSDH said 262 are in the hospital with the flu. The flu vaccine doesn't provide ideal protection, but people who get it tend to have less severe symptoms. "Flu season can last for another couple months".
Five people in North Carolina and SC have died from the flu this season.
In Athens, "We are beginning to see a big influx of flu-like symptoms", said Suzanne Johnson, the director of the emergency department at Athens-Limestone Hospital. Avoiding contact with ill people, getting a flu shot and covering your nose and mouth when sneezing or coughing also help control the spread.
For people with confirmed or suspected influenza, particular those who are at high risk for complications, it's important to seek treatment with influenza antiviral medications as close to the onset of illness as possible.
The vaccine is available from 8 a.m.to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8 a.m.to noon Friday at the health department clinics at 2700 NE 63, 2149 SW 59 and 4113 NW 10.
- Vikings-Bengals game pits Zimmer v. ex-boss
- Dave Chappelle pities 'poor white' Trump voters in new Netflix special
- Salvation Army Kettle Campaign $5 Million Behind Target
- President Trump just commuted his first sentence - here's what we know
- Southampton boss Pellegrino has Hazard plan to undo Chelsea
- Fired worker arrested in Lambeau Field disturbance
- European Union investigating Ikea tax benefits
- Celtic's 69-game Unbeaten Run Ends In 4-0 Rout At Hearts
- Elon Musk accidentally Tweets his personal mobile number to 16 million people
- Could human remains in Montana shed be missing MI brothers?