Authorities did not release the suspect's identity, but said he is a 22-year-old from Hayward.
Officer Hannah Walcott said the other officer, Trooper Jonathan Velasquez suffered non-life-threatening injuries.
CHP says the driver had been drinking and was on drugs.
Officials from the CHP Golden Gate confirmed the "tragic line of duty death" via Twitter on Christmas morning.
Officer Hannah Walcott said the officer was on duty and a passenger in a patrol vehicle parked on the shoulder of Interstate 880 in Hayward when he was struck around 11:20 p.m. Sunday. Police were called to the scene late Sunday evening after receiving a report about a collision involving a auto that rear-ended a CHP patrol vehicle. Sanchez identified him as 33-year-old Andrew Camilleri, a married father of three children.
Camilleri and another CHP officer were parked on the Winton Avenue on-ramp to I-880 in the southbound direction when their cruiser was hit by a vehicle.
Google's Chrome Will Start Removing "Failing" Ads In February
In the four months after the initial period, that figure drops to 5% before landing at a permanent 2.5% in mid-August 2018. According to Venturebeat , Google's strategy is to use Chrome to choke off revenue from low-quality ads on websites.
The CHP said it was not known when all the southbound lanes of 880 would reopen.
Sanchez said the driver was coming home from a party, where "he had obviously had too much to drink and maybe too much to smoke".
Banners at the Capitol will be flown at half-staff in the fallen officer's respect, as indicated by an announcement from Gov.
Both Officer Camilleri and his partner were injured and taken to a hospital were Camilleri later died, according to California Highway Patrol.
The second officer suffered minor injuries.
"We join his family, friends and the entire California Highway Patrol in mourning his death and honoring his sacrifice", Brown said.
- Salvation Army Kettle Campaign $5 Million Behind Target
- Ireland gives Trump golf course green light for scaled-down sea wall
- Central Intelligence Agency helped Russian Federation halt terrorist attack
- Julian Assange's Twitter account goes quiet
- Teacher gets bottle of wine from parents with student's face on label
- Trump administration reportedly prohibits CDC from using words like 'transgender,' 'fetus'
- Four things you need to know about flu season
- Coinbase halts Bitcoin Cash transactions over insider trading fears
- Trump Travel Ban Dealt Blow by San Francisco Appeals Court
- India vs Sri Lanka, 3rd ODI: Rohit Sharma departs