Van Dijk took to Twitter to express his delight at the imminent move to Merseyside.
Southampton also confirmed the deal, announcing: "Southampton have agreed a fee that will set a new world-record for a defender".
Southampton Football Club can confirm it has reached an agreement with Liverpool over the transfer of Virgil van Dijk.
In terms of van Dijk's own payment, it is expected that he will be on anything from £180,000 a week upward.
"If I could pick any two centre-halves to play in Klopp's system if it wasn't Van Dijk then it would be Alderweireld and Vertonghen", Breen told Irish radio station Newstalk.
After a summer transfer window saga of enormous annoyance and frustration for fans, management and Southampton's Virgil van Dijk himself, there finally seems to be some light at the end of the tunnel.
President Trump just commuted his first sentence - here's what we know
Trump also pointed to bipartisan expressions of support for review of the case from over 100 former high-ranking U.S. The commutation does not vacate Rubashkin's conviction and leaves in place a parole term and restitution obligation.
"Today is a proud day for me and my family as I join one of the biggest clubs in world football!"
But a move fell through when Liverpool apologised for making an alleged illegal approach for the 26-year-old.
"I can't wait to pull on the famous red shirt for the first time in front of the Kop".
The player only signed a new six-year contract last year, having joined the Saints from Celtic for £13m in September 2015.
Many Saints fans will be disappointed to let yet another top player slip through their fingers to Liverpool - following the departures of Sadio Mane, Dejan Lovren, Nathaniel Clyne, Adam Lallana and the now-retired Rickie Lambert.
Former Liverpool player Collymore is staggered at the fee.
- India vs Sri Lanka, 3rd ODI: Rohit Sharma departs
- Salvation Army Kettle Campaign $5 Million Behind Target
- Trump Travel Ban Dealt Blow by San Francisco Appeals Court
- NWS: 'Going to be a white Christmas'
- Muslim board rejects Triple Talaq Bill
- Firefox for Fire TV negates Google's move to block YouTube access
- Dave Chappelle pities 'poor white' Trump voters in new Netflix special
- 'Phony Hillary Clinton Investigation': Trump Smears Retiring FBI Deputy Director
- Virginia House Dems to vote on would-be speaker
- Fired worker arrested in Lambeau Field disturbance