An official from Luxor's governor's office said the person killed was a 36-year-old woman from South Africa. The tourist who died was South African.
In 2016, 22 Chinese tourists were injured when their balloon crash landed, after which Egypt temporarily halted balloon rides.
The incident was caused by strong winds that forced the balloon off its course above the city's temples and tombs. Of the 12 injured, two were in a serious condition, MENA said.
In 2009, 13 tourists were injured when their hot air balloon struck a communications mast in Luxor and crashed. The Karnak Temple Complex, which dates back to around 2000 B.C., is located within the modern-day city.
S. Korea proposes high-level dialogue with DPRK on January 9
That year, the Supreme People's Assembly promulgated an ordinance on North Korea's position as a "nuclear weapons state". He said North Korea's nuclear deterrent was "irreversible" and that it would prevent Trump from starting a war.
The deadliest crash occurred in 2013 when 19 people, mostly Asian and European tourists, were killed after the balloon caught fire in a mid-air gas explosion and plummeted 1,000 feet into a sugar cane field.
Those on board the flight included a number of foreign nationals along with Egyptian tourists.
Hot air balloon crashes have occurred in the region before.
- NWS: 'Going to be a white Christmas'
- 'Phony Hillary Clinton Investigation': Trump Smears Retiring FBI Deputy Director
- Liverpool agree deal to sign Virgil van Dijk from Southampton for £75m
- Local jobless rate rises slightly
- Julian Assange's Twitter account goes quiet
- 'Multiple Deputies' Injured in Shooting South of Denver
- Muslim board rejects Triple Talaq Bill
- Unsafe cold will linger into New Year's Day
- Oreo update now officially rolling out
- Amanda Davis, legendary news anchor, dead after suffering a stroke