Hong Kong saw its deadliest bus crash in more than a decade on Saturday, leaving 18 dead and more than 60 injured.
Some passengers managed to climb out of the vehicle but others had to be cut free by firefighters.
"The latest figures show a total of 19 persons, which include 17 male and two female, were certified dead at the scene".
Local media outlets have quoted an injured person as saying that the bus was going very fast when it entered a curve. The injured are being taken to hospitals across Hong Kong and rescuers are still trying to release people trapped inside.
Lawmaker Lam Cheuk-ting of the Democratic Party urged the government to investigate bus designs, "especially with the upper deck of buses having been repeatedly torn off in accidents, posing a serious threat to passengers on the upper level".
Carrie Lam, Hong Kong's top official, said after the crash past year that she didn't believe new laws governing drivers' hours were an answer, and that any solution had to address broader questions of worker shortages.
Upcoming PlayStation 4 update includes play time management
Whenever you're listening to music on PS4, you'll be able to access certain shortcuts from the Quick Menu. PlayStation 4's latest major update has just rolled out and it brings all new features along with it.
"It was much faster than I normally feel on a bus", he said. "People fell on one another and got tossed from side to side". Injured passengers were transported to 12 hospitals.
So said the driver was familiar with the route and had not been working overtime recently.
A company executive also said $HK80,000 (NZ$14,100) would be paid to the families of each victim.
Nineteen people have been killed after a double-decker bus overturned in Hong Kong.
She said: "The goal is to ensure a safe and reliable public transport system. especially for bus services".
- Energy Security, Infrastructural Investments Will Be Top Priority During PM Modi's Visit
- Does Drinking Hot Tea Increase Esophageal Cancer Risk?
- Omarosa says she wouldn't vote for Trump again
- Even Fox News Admits The Phony GOP Memo Doesn't 'Totally Vindicate' Trump
- Trump aide to leave White House after abuse allegations
- Suns acquire former first-round pick Elfrid Payton from Magic
- INRIX Global Traffic Scorecard
- Snapchat shares skyrocket on first earnings beat with revived user growth
- Solo: A Star Wars Story Finally Gets a Trailer
- LAPD Submits 3 More Cases of Alleged Sexual Assault by Harvey Weinstein