The war against the Islamic State group displaced more than 5 million people in Iraq, only half of whom have returned to their hometowns. It instead hopes it can count largely on Gulf allies to shoulder the burden of rebuilding Iraq.
Minister of Foreign Affairs, Shaikh Khalid bin Ahmed bin Mohammed Al Khalifa, affirmed that the Kingdom of Bahrain has continuously supported the Republic of Iraq in its fight against the terrorist organisation of Daesh in building the new Iraq and in the global recognition of the Republic of Iraq.
Dr Anwar Gargash, UAE minister of state for foreign affairs, announced the United Arab Emirates would pledge $500 million.
It is also counting on a Saudi-Iraqi rapprochement to weaken Iran's influence there.
Speaking on the sidelines of a major donor conference in Kuwait, H E Sheikh Mohamed bin Abdulrahman Al-Thani, said Qatar would provide a package of loans and investment worth $1 billion to focus on infrastructure projects. It was not clear if these investments were new or already in place.
An image of Masood in Iraq in the mid-1990s
Iraq needs around $22bn in the short term and another $66bn in the medium term, said the director-general of the country's planning ministry Qusay Adulfattah.
Kuwait, which was hosting the worldwide donors' conference, pledged $2 billion in investment and loans. The fighters have also been largely defeated in neighbouring Syria.
"It will revitalise areas that are at risk of violence, and support broad political participation and inclusive social development", U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said.
"The coalition succeeded in liberating 98 per cent of the Iraqi soil from the clutches of IS, while numerous displaced returned home, " Mr. Tillerson said.
LAPD Submits 3 More Cases of Alleged Sexual Assault by Harvey Weinstein
That brings to five the number of cases the Los Angeles County district attorney's office is looking into involving Weinstein. Harvey Weinstein could soon be facing criminal charges for alleged sexual abuse.
- Nest Makes Return To Google Mothership For AI-Infused Smart Home Devices
- Senate begins freewheeling immigration debate
- Instagram testing screenshot warnings in Stories
- The UFC Middleweight Division Is A Mess
- After 12 years, Twitter finally makes a profit
- Suspect Named In Disturbing Facebook Video Of Man, Child
- In Venom's First Trailer, Venom Is Nowhere To Be Found
- Google Wants To Bring Smart Replies To More Chat Apps
- Suns acquire former first-round pick Elfrid Payton from Magic
- Potential key to halting breast cancer's spread discovered by scientists