The four soldiers were wounded, two of them seriously, when they approached a Palestinian flag along the border fence and an improvised explosive device blew up, the Israeli military said. The IDF retaliated by firing tank shells at a Hamas watchtower.
The four soldiers were taken to the hospital with burns and injures from shrapnel, two in serious condition.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the explosion, which occurred along the southern frontier of the territory, controlled by the Islamist group Hamas.
Several huge explosions were heard in eastern Gaza city, and eyewitnesses said two Hamas military facilities were bombarded by Israeli war jets.
According to earlier Palestinian reports, Israeli warplanes responded by striking various targets in and around Gaza City.
Image The US is cutting 83% of its aid contribution to the UN Relief and Works Agency
Saturday's incident on the Gaza Strip border is severe, said the Israeli Prime Minster Netanyahu in a statement released on Saturday evening.
An army spokesman declined to say if there were casualties on the Israeli side.
The IDF holds Hamas responsible for all that is happening in the Gaza Strip and is determined to ensure security to the people of Israel using all the means it has, stated the IDF spokesperson.
IDF Chief of Staff Gadi Eisenkot met with the head of the IDF's Southern Command and other senior officials to assess the current situation.
On February 10, more than 50 Palestinian protesters were injured by Israeli forces, which used live ammunition to suppress the 10th 'Friday of Rage' rally.
Winter Olympics 2018: First Gold Goes To Sweden, Koreas In Spotlight
Bjoergen took the 11th Olympic medal by finishing second in 40:52.7. "Being seconds out of a medal is so exciting because I know it's possible".
- Google Shipped 3.9 Million Pixel Units Last Year
- Seaside Park Bomber Sentenced to Multiple Life Terms
- Adam Lallana On Bench - Liverpool Team vs Southampton Confirmed
- Instagram testing screenshot warnings in Stories
- US not searching for battle with Syria's forces,…
- US President Trump threatens China with sanctions on trade imbalance
- Flu death toll rises to 251 in San Diego
- Sharma ton helps India bag ODI series win
- Jacob Zuma's Exit From South Africa Presidency to Be Finalized Monday
- Romney makes it official: He's running for Senate seat from Utah