He said that both NPP and UDP are a part of BJP led North East Democratic Alliance (NEDA) and Congress party had humiliated its senior leaders by sending them to Meghalaya when the mandate was against the party.
"We have already met the governor and handed him a letter to request him to invite the Congress being the single largest party", Nath told IANS. The BJP won two seats, but is rooting for an alliance of regional parties to keep the Congress at bay. They are also likely to be backed by PA Sangma-founded National People's Party (NPP) besides the lone Independent.
The National People's Party (NPP) is close behind with 19 seats, which could mean that even though Congress won it still may not form the government. "People have grown wary of the misdeeds and misrule of the Congress and pinning their hopes on change", BJP's election strategist and Assam Finance Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said.
Speaking to media persons after staking the claim, Sangma said that the NPP was clear from the day one that it wanted to provide good governance in Meghalaya which is missing for the past many years.
"Running a coalition government is never easy but I am confident that the MLAs who are with us are very committed to the state and people, will work towards development of the state", Sangma was quoted as saying by ANI.
With no single party crossing the halfway mark, the state is headed for a hung Assembly.
Nice Stretch of Weather Then a Late Week Storm
Expect southwest winds between 13 to 17 miles per hour , with some wind gusts during the day as high as 26 miles per hour . Our morning will see temperatures in the low 50s, only warming to the upper 60s for your afternoon highs.
Chief Minister Mukul Sangma has strengthened his hold on the Congress during his almost eight years in office.
In Tripura, where the BJP has ousted the Left Front from power, Nath said the Congress was not a player in the state.
The NPP won 19 seats, the UDP secured six seats while its alliance partner the HSPDP got two seats.
The Congress has also rushed senior leaders Ahmed Patel and Kamal Nath to Shillong. Sharma added that we have enough confidence that parties will come together to stop Congress from holding power in Meghalaya.
The chief minister's wife Dikkanchi D Shira also won from Mahendraganj seat defeating her nearest BJP rival Premananda Koch by over 6,000 votes, the sources said. UDP president and RDA chairman Donkupar Roy said that NPP was extended support on the condition that Sangma is made the CM.
- UK PM May defends 'credible' Brexit plan
- Priya Prakash Warrier charges 8 LAKH whopping amount for single Instagram post
- Vancouver-based MEC severs ties with gun manufacturer after outcry
- Tiger Woods to play for ninth Arnold Palmer Invitational win
- Chinese Communist Party approved a new package of reforms in the country
- Dana White Continues To Tease Brock Lesnar's Potential UFC Return
- Missing snowboarder found deceased at Squaw Valley
- Putin showcases missiles pointed at Florida, Trump is silent
- YouTube stopped hiring white men in attempt to boost diversity, lawsuit claims
- Kushner's Company Got $509M in Loans After WH Meetings