For those who don't remember last year's end-of-show debacle (and how did you miss it?), the wrong envelope for Best Picture was handed to Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway. Dunaway read out La La Land, but Moonlight was the real victor, only to be revealed several moments later when the mistake was acknowledged. When Warren opened up the envelope, he looked a little confused and ultimately let Faye announce the victor.
After the "La La Land" cast showed up on stage to collect their Oscar, the presenters reannounced the victor as "Moonlight", stunning the cast members and the audience, alike.
The move mimicked "La La Land" producer Jordan Horowitz holding up the envelope for "Moonlight" as evidence of its win a year ago.
Frances McDormand, Sam Rockwell and Guillermo del Toro are each heavily favoured to win, while Aussie golden girl Margot Robbie is nominated for a Best Actress award. This is not a joke... He then handed the envelope to Dunaway, who immediately said the victor was La La Land.
The Bonnie and Clyde costars then announced The Shape of Water as the victor as director Guillermo del Toro and cast members Sally Hawkins, Michael Shannon, Octavia Spencer and Richard Jenkins took the stage to accept their statuette.
US, Britain, France, Germany condemn Iran, warn to stop arming Houthi militia
Iran lashed out at the United States and the United Kingdom for covering war crimes committed by Saudi-led coalition in Yemen. Yemen relies heavily on food imports and is on the brink of starvation .
"It's so nice seeing you again", Beatty said.
After Mr. Beatty opened the envelope onstage, he hesitated.
"It happens and I want to tell you everyone that is dreaming of using genre or fantasy to tell stories about things that are real in the world today, you can do it". I wasn't trying to be amusing. "I was free! Thank you, God!"
Picking up the evening's biggest prize, Best Picture, the director dedicated the honour to up-and-coming movie makers.
Click inside for details on what happened AFTER the Oscars...
- Chinese Communist Party approved a new package of reforms in the country
- University: Student Charged in Parents' Slayings
- Northwestern women beat Wisconsin 68-63 in Big Ten 1st round
- Dana White Continues To Tease Brock Lesnar's Potential UFC Return
- Maintenance Leads to Drop In UAE's Oil Output
- Conrad Sangma meets Meghalaya Governor, stakes claim to form govt
- Egypt dismisses Red Sea islands transfer-challenges
- Victims identified in fatal shooting at Central Michigan University
- Jordan Peele open to a 'Get Out' sequel
- Vancouver-based MEC severs ties with gun manufacturer after outcry