Jordan Peele made history at Sunday night's Oscars when he won the award for Best Original Screenplay, but he nearly didn't become a director. He was also nominated for Best Director and as a producer for the movie. "I wrote it more as something that would be fun to write and something that would help me get better as an artist".
"When the nominations for this came together, I had this awesome feeling of looking at the 12-year-old who hd this burning in my guts for this type of validation, and I instantly realized that an award like this is much bigger than me". "I thought no one would let me make this movie.I want to dedicate this to everyone who let me raise my voice". "I thought it wasn't going to work", Peele said from the stage Sunday night.
And while it was a landmark moment for Kaluuya to earn a best actor nomination in "Get Out", the 29-year-old noted that it was only made possible by Peele's genius effort.
Peele is the third person in the Academy Awards' 90-year history to be nominated for directing, writing and producing for a debut film.
He rose to fame as one half of the comedy duo in the Comedy Central series Key & Peele.
City powers past Chelsea as title moves closer
In the end it was to no avail - leaving them with an uphill task to qualify for the top four. Sky Sports pundits Jamie Redknapp and Gary Neville lambasted Conte for Chelsea's approach.
"Get Out" lost out, in the Best Director and Best Picture categories, to del Toro's "The Shape of Water". "Lady Bird", the story of a woman who longs to move to the city, was nominated for several awards, including best picture, but was ultimately snubbed.
This year awards shows have embraced the "representation matters" idea and no story illuminates that more than the unexpected connection that Jordan Peele revealed he had to another African-American Oscar victor.
Guillermo del Toro, victor of the award for best director for "The Shape of Water" celebrates in the audience at the Oscars, March 4, 2018, at the Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles.
"I said that Jordan deserves it, Jordan deserves it", Kaluuya said, recalling the conversation. Three times before the Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay went to black writers, for 2009's Precious, 2014's 12 Years a Slave and last year's Moonlight.
Peele said the awards season has been long and trying - but ultimately gratifying.
- 'Horror' as doctor cuts open wrong patient's head
- Dana White Continues To Tease Brock Lesnar's Potential UFC Return
- Kushner's Company Got $509M in Loans After WH Meetings
- Ledecka seals stunning double, Norway sets medals mark
- Conrad Sangma meets Meghalaya Governor, stakes claim to form govt
- Russian Federation tells European Union gas supplies via Ukraine under no immediate threat
- Vancouver-based MEC severs ties with gun manufacturer after outcry
- Victims identified in fatal shooting at Central Michigan University
- UA outside counsel releases statement on Deandre Ayton
- Northwestern women beat Wisconsin 68-63 in Big Ten 1st round