The alliance will also deny pending accreditation requests for three others, and reduce the maximum size of the mission to 20 people, down from 30, NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said at a press conference.
In the toughest action that President Donald Trump has taken against Russia since coming to office, the United States has said it will expel 60 Russians, including 12 intelligence officers from Russia's mission to the U.N. headquarters in NY.
Relations between North Atlantic Treaty Organisation and Russian Federation were already at a low ebb over Moscow's annexation of Crimea and its role in the Ukraine and Syria conflicts.
In the most sweeping such action against Moscow since the height of the Cold War, the United States and European Union members plan to expel scores of Russian diplomats in action against the Kremlin for the nerve agent attack on Sergei Skripal and his daughter which they have blamed on Russia.
Moscow has fiercely denied any involvement in his attempted murder, instead pointing the finger at London.
Outside the EU, Canada, Australia, Ukraine, Macedonia, and Norway also announced expulsions. Prime Minister Theresa May told lawmakers that 23 Russian diplomats who have been identified as undeclared intelligence officers have a week to leave the country.
On March 27, Ireland and Moldova followed suit, becoming the latest countries to order out Russian diplomats.
United Kingdom forcing 'allies to take confrontational steps' over spy poisoning - Russian Federation
We therefore call for a coordinated and responsible reaction from the European Union and its member states'. According to the British Prime Minister, London was confident that " Russia had produced a substance".
With Downing Street saying that more than 115 Russian diplomats had been ordered home by friends and allies, Dublin added one more to the list.
"I welcome the global support that we have garnered", she said.
Also on March 27, British Prime Minister Theresa May told senior ministers that there was still more to be done in Britain's long-term response to Russian Federation.
White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said Washington and its allies were acting "in response to Russia's use of a military-grade chemical weapon on the soil of the United Kingdom".
Britain has emphasized that the attack took place in the context of "reckless behavior" by Russian President Vladimir Putin, including the annexation of Crimea.
It is also closing the Russian consulate in Seattle.
- Oil Prices Up As EIA Confirms Crude Draw
- Paul McCartney Remembers John Lennon During March For Our Lives
- Air India Sets Up Probe Team For Slapping Incident
- Thousands from across nation join DC's student-fueled March for Our Lives
- Stranger Things Cast Get Salary Increases Before Season 3
- Men 'Dark Phoenix' and 'New Mutants' movies held til 2019
- Captain Marvel movie to feature key Guardians, SHIELD characters
- Saudis intercept seven ballistic missiles fired at cities by Houthis in Yemen
- Another evacuation deal reached as Syrian regime and Russian Federation pummel Ghouta
- Resilient Karachiites courageous scorching heat, security checks to welcome PSL