The researchers, who were from the University of Connecticut's School of Medicine, studied 36 bathrooms across the campus. For this reason, many opt to use hand dryers to dry their hands, especially if the dryers are touchless.
A new study conducted by researchers in the University of CT showed that hand dryers expel a lot of harmful bacteria back onto your hands.
Explanation: Every time you flush a toilet, it releases an aerosol spray of tiny tainted water droplets.
Scientists compared normal bathroom air to air blasted from hand dryer nozzles. The same droplets are sucked in by the hand dryers along with air. The study found that restrooms with hand dryers had up to 254 bacterial pathogens present. Hand and food contamination with these bugs can give a case of food poisoning or diarrhoea and vomiting. They placed a sterile plate underneath the dryers for around 30 seconds. They scanned the areas for a strain of Bacillus subtilis, or PS533, that was engineered in a nearby laboratory, along with other bacterial colonies.Читайте также: Andre Ingram Scores 19 Points in NBA Debut
The hand dryers were apparently sucking up the bacteria around the bathroom and blasting them to the hands of people.
When the plates were simply left in the bathroom for a while, they only collected max 20 colonies.
The scientists tested the efficacy of filters when installed or retro-fitted in the dryers, finding the HEPA filters only blocked about 75 percent of bacteria. "Results indicate that many kinds of bacteria, including potential pathogens and spores, can be deposited on hands exposed to bathroom hand dryers and that spores could be dispersed throughout buildings and deposited on hands by hand dryers", say the study's authors. But this study showed that adding the filters did not help.При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2018 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.
Код для вставки в блог
- The World's Oldest Living Man Was Born Before We Even Had Radios
- Kroger to hire 11000 people in 2018
- Liverpool boss Klopp explains Salah derby absence
- Pay less, get more: Spotify to bundle Premium service with Hulu
- Apple Says Its Global Facilities Powered With 100% Clean Energy
- Avengers: Infinity War Officially Rated PG-13
- Ghazni District Retaken After Deadly Attack
- 'I know we can do better': Zuckerberg's many Facebook apologies
- Mohamed Salah trains to boost Liverpool ahead of Man City game
- Gov. Rick Scott Announces Bid to Unseat Florida's Democratic Senator