Barbara Bush is one of only two first ladies who was also the mother of a U.S. president.
Family spokesman Jim Mcgrath did not go into details about the nature of the former first lady's ill health, but instead thanked everyone for the outpouring of well wishes, and assured the public that Mrs Bush was in good spirits.
Bush's office released a statement, confirming after a "recent series of hospitalizations", she has decided against seeking additional medical help and will instead focus on "comfort care". Lane is said to have designed Barbara Bush's trademark faux pearls especially for her husband's inauguration.
"As always, Barbara Bush is a comfort to her friends & family teaching us all how to live full of faith, love & humor". Bush has a lung disease called chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and congestive heart failure, The Washington Post reported.
Mrs Bush married George H W Bush in 1945.
All along, Barbara Bush has been regarded as an invaluable asset with a grandmotherly persona that could belie a forthright outspokenness.
IPhone 8, 8 Plus (PRODUCT)RED Special Edition Announced
Both the 64GB and 256GB storage in gold, silver and space gray models of the iPhone 8 Plus are available. Apple will work with Product Red , an organization that battles HIV and AIDS in Africa.
Home Minority Chief Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., tweeted that Bush "is a consolation to her buddies & household educating us all find out how to dwell full of religion, love & humor".
Mrs. Bush is widely known in Colorado and across the country for her work to promote literacy.
During the nomination race the former first lady was highly critical of Trump - who said her son Jeb was as "dumb as a rock" - saying she was "sick of him" and she couldn't understand why people would support him.
The couple left the White House after Republican president Mr Bush lost the 1992 election to Democrat Bill Clinton.
"One out of six Americans, literally, can not read above the fifth grade level - that's bad!", said Barbara when she made literacy her focal point while serving as First Lady of the United States. The other was Abigail Adams, wife of John Adams and mother of John Quincy Adams.
She was hospitalized for bronchitis treatment in January 2017.
- Nepal move three-position up, Germany retain top spot in Federation Internationale de Football Association ranking
- Royal baby watch: New signs London hospital preparing for delivery
- Ghazni District Retaken After Deadly Attack
- Kroger to hire 11000 people in 2018
- WWE RAW after WrestleMania: Ronda Rousey BRUTALISES Stephanie McMahon again
- Pence: NAFTA deal could be reached in several weeks
- Syria downs most missiles of US, UK, France - Russia
- Hand dryers collect feces particles, spray them on you, study says
- Delhi Daredevils beat Mumbai Indians by seven wickets in IPL match
- Andre Ingram Scores 19 Points in NBA Debut