Community members have the opportunity to go back-to-school shopping without sales tax as part of Oklahoma's Sales Tax Holiday starting at 12:01 a.m. on Friday and ending at midnight on Sunday. Certain back-to-school purchases, such as clothing, school supplies, computers, and other items as defined by the statute, are exempt from sales tax for this time period. Online purchases of qualifying items also are tax-exempt during the sales tax holiday. "In addition, the sales tax holiday affects our brick and mortar stores by encouraging people to buy local instead of crossing state lines to shop in Pennsylvania".
There are three categories of "back-to-school" items that are covered by the exemption.
This year, computer and computer accessories priced at less than $750 have returned to the list after a brief hiatus in 2016.
Because of that, Boehnke disputes the non-partisan Legislative Services Commission's estimates that OH will lose $14.7 million dollars in tax revenue this weekend.
"I know there are reports out there saying these sales-tax holidays aren't that good for retailers", Miller said.
The state has offered back-to-school tax holidays most years since 1998.
Elon Musk: Tesla is not considering raising more equity at this point
But Musk said there "will be significant carryover" from Model 3 production in order to bring the compact SUV to market faster. Now, according to an earnings call with Elon Musk , Tesla went down from about 520,000 pre-orders to only 455,000.
The 7 percent sales tax cut wouldn't have saved much on the two-for-a-dollar boxes of crayons that were on sale at some Publix stores this week, but for a lot of families the savings adds up.
Nationally, families are expected to spend around $688 this year on apparel, shoes and school supplies, a number which has jumped six percent from last year, according to estimates from the National Retail Federation.
"The tax holiday is a great idea", Burnett said.
A survey conducted by FRF's parent organization, the National Retail Federation, estimates USA retailers will pull in a total of $83.6 billion in revenue during the tax-free holidays in Florida and other states.
Patterson said it's a great opportunity for OH families to save money as they prepare their children for the upcoming school year.
- OH woman calls 911 with pet boa constrictor wrapped around her neck
- Joe Arpaio Could Face Jail Time For Illegally Targeting Immigrants
- Three Killed, Four Wounded In Shooting At Moscow Court
- Twin boys, 3, drown in Melville pool accident
- Calm and Order in Elections for Constituent Assembly in Venezuela
- Oscar Pistorius 'rushed to hospital with suspected HEART ATTACK'
- President Trump, on Long Island, pledges to destroy MS-13
- Trump replaces chief of staff Priebus with general Kelly
- Chelsea lose to Inter Milan in last preseason friendly
- US State Department: Iran's Satellite Launch Violates UN Resolution