The former Arizona congresswoman was a victim of a 2011 Tucson shooting that left six people dead.
"I know they got into politics for the same reason I did - to make a difference, to get things done", Giffords' statement said.
But so far there is no indication that Republicans will take up gun violence legislation.
Trump's predecessor Barack Obama frequently used mass shootings to call for stricter gun control laws.
Lt. Governor Ralph Northam, who has made stricter gun laws a central plank in his campaign for the commonwealth's top office, canceled a series of events with Giffords and Kelly created to highlight his differences with the Republican nominee, former George W. Bush adviser Ed Gillespie, on the issue of "the epidemic of gun violence". "Do not wait. The nation is counting on you".
Opponents of the measure say that the silencer provision, in particular, could make it harder to identify a shooter during an incident such as the one in Las Vegas.
Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., added his name to a growing list of Democratic lawmakers calling on Congress to pass stronger gun control laws.Читайте также: Google admits citing 4chan to spread fake Vegas shooter news
"We can't just be working to defeat bad legislation like federally mandated concealed-carry and the deregulation of silencers", Kelly said. "There's a lot we need to do in the wake of this mass shooting".
Republicans who reacted to the violence in Las Vegas early Monday did not call for any legislative response to the shooting. Americans need more than our president's prayers. "None of this ends unless we do something to stop it".
"I am following the details of the horrific shooting that happened in Las Vegas", Rep. Trent Franks, R-Glendale, said in a tweet Monday.
Scalise, a Louisiana Republican, returned to the Capitol last week after he was shot and critically wounded in June as he and fellow Republicans practiced for a congressional baseball game.
Videos of the initial gunfire in Las Vegas appeared to indicate the use of a fully automatic, machine-gun-type weapon.
Giffords and her husband were planning to praise Northam for supporting "responsible gun violence prevention policies" at a series of roundtable discussions in northern Virginia.При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2017 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.
Код для вставки в блог
- 18 hurt, three seriously in French stadium barrier collapse
- Macklemore to donate proceeds from Same Love to marriage equality campaign
- Peter Dutton Says The NRL Should Play A 'No' Campaign Song Too
- Nigel Farage Tells LBC New Leader Henry Bolton Gives Ukip "Hope"
- Sony Is Teasing Some "Big Game Announcements" During Paris Games Week
- Numis Securities Ltd Reiterates "Add" Rating for UNITE Group plc (UTG)
- Children die in Pak shelling
- Troy conquers Tiger Stadium, takes down LSU in stunning 24-21 defeat
- Judge: Black Lives Matter Can't Be Sued
- Marilyn Manson cancels nine shows after being injured by falling stage prop