It was changed to a gender-neutral title in 1999.
Trump's original tweet, which the magazine denied, claimed Time told him he was "probably" going to be named the magazine's Person of the Year for 2017. He says he told the magazine that "probably" isn't good enough, and he would pass on the opportunity.
This is not the first time Trump publicly criticized Time.
Time later posted a tweet of its own disputing Trump's account: "The President is incorrect about how we choose Person of the Year".
As the controversy unfolded, prominent figures in the entertainment and sports industry weighed in to mock the president.
Time had in fact named Trump its Person of the Year last year.
Then, tennis superstar Andy Murray got in a British take.
Actor Jason Isaacs, who played Lucius Malfoy in "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" and now stars in "Star Trek: Discovery", jabbed Trump by referencing special counsel Robert Mueller's ongoing Russian Federation investigation.
Eden Hazard Says Chelsea is Ready and Rested for Liverpool
It is very positive for us in a game that I knew very well it wouldn't be easy. Unused subs: Kanibolotskiy, Amirguliyev, Ismayilov, Sheydaev.
It claims it doesn't comment on its choice until publication, which is on the 6th of December.
Actor and comedian David Schneider lampooned the president as well.
At the time, explaining their decision, the judges wrote: "It's hard to measure the scale of his disruption".
Actress Patricia Arquette suggested Trump "can always print yourself another fake cover".
Former adviser to former President Obama and current co-host of "Pod Save America" Dan Pfeiffer tweeted that Trump's claim is "sad" and the president is "so needy for approval". There was another headline, written in all caps, above the TIME logo: "TRUMP IS HITTING ON ALL FRONTS".
Trump continued the annual presidential tradition during an event in the White House Rose Garden today.
"The Time Magazine list of the 100 Most Influential People is a joke and stunt of a magazine that will, like Newsweek, soon be dead". Bad list!,' he tweeted.
- Trump To Hit The Links With Tiger After Turkey Call
- Guess Who's Now Performing at the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show?
- Bill Belichick, Drew Bledsoe React To Terry Glenn's Death: 'A Sad Day'
- US Senator Al Franken accused of sexual harassment
- Trump administration plans to end protected status for about 60000 Haitian immigrants
- Tennessee finalizing deal with Schiano
- Guarantee safety of Kulbhushan Jadhav's wife, mother if they visit Pak
- OnePlus 5T to go on sale tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi set take over as Congress president on early December
- Tillerson on Rohingya Crisis: 'It's Clearly Ethnic Cleansing'