N.C. State countered with an offer on Wednesday night, and Doeren woke up on Thursday, weighing the chance to make more money at Tennessee against the chance to build on his recent success with the Wolfpack.
Although North Carolina State had been working on a new deal for the coach since earlier this season, the discussions with Tennessee likely helped expedite the process. After Mike Gundy chose to stay at Oklahoma State on Tuesday, Tennessee athletic director John Currie shifted his focus to Purdue's Jeff Brohm.
N.C. State officials announced the new agreement with Doeren, pending approval from the school's Board of Trustees on Friday.
CNN's Clarissa Ward: Trump's Attack on CNN International 'Emboldens' Hostile Foreign Governments
This pursuit will not end at CNN , "no matter how many insults, or blatant assaults on the press and its freedom". This is not the first time Comey seems to have tacitly thrown his two cents in on the president's actions .
Tennessee officials have also had talks with SMU coach Chad Morris and Auburn defensive coordinator Kevin Steele, as they try to put an end to a whirlwind coaching search to replace Butch Jones, who was sacked November 12.
Doeren and Yow "made progress" on contract negotiations during the second half of the football season, but speculation about his future lingered and got to a boiling point this week when Tennessee attempted to lure Doeren away.
While their bowl game for this season is to be determined, the Wolfpack went 2-1 over their three bowl contests between 2014 and 2016, defeating Central Florida in the St. Petersburg Bowl in 2014 and then topping Vanderbilt in the Independence Bowl last season.
N.C. State is 8-4 and ranked No. 24 in the College Football Playoff poll.
- Three get death sentence for rape, murder of minor
- Trump administration plans to end protected status for about 60000 Haitian immigrants
- Tillerson on Rohingya Crisis: 'It's Clearly Ethnic Cleansing'
- DC Archdiocese Sues Metro for Rejecting Christmas Ads
- Search for missing NC girl intensifying near her home
- We never proposed to make Donald Trump Person of the Year
- Trump plans to replace Tillerson with Pompeo
- India welcomes Ivanka Trump at business summit
- Florida teen wanted in connection with grandmother's death captured at Canadian border
- Pakistan frees Mumbai attack mastermind from house arrest