Todd Kulman - with the Red Cross of MI - says the severe winter weather over the past few weeks has been a major cause of the shortage, along with high levels of sick people during this cold and flu season.
More than 150 drives were canceled across the country, including 10 in NY just last week.
The agency critically needs donations of platelets, which have a short shelf life.
The Red Cross must collect more than 13,000 donations every day for patients at about 2,600 hospitals and transfusion centers nationwide.
Platelets: The clotting portion of blood primarily given to cancer patients during treatment and always in great demand.
Trump on Twitter (Jan 2) - Iranian regime, Huma Abedin
The FBI has previously said that a number of Abedin's documents were backed up on the laptop of her estranged husband, former Rep. It was the latest statement from the commander-in-chief over his former Democratic opponent's email usage.
The Red Cross is urging eligible donors to support their local blood banks and help save lives. Donors can help even more people by inviting a family member, friend or co-worker to donate too.
Donors of all blood types are needed.
Individuals who are as young as 16 years of age (with parental consent), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in general good health may be eligible to donate blood.
Type O negative: The blood type that can be transfused to nearly everyone and is what doctors reach for in trauma situations. Power Red donors give a concentrated dose of red blood cells during a single donation, allowing them to maximize their impact.
- Roy Moore's 'Jewish' attorney is a practicing Christian
- OnePlus 5T Sandstone White Limited Edition is now official
- Jacksonville's defence shuts down Buffalo to reach Divisional playoff game
- The Racial Inequality in Cancer Deaths
- Jon Gruden has $100 million reasons to coach the Raiders again
- Britain's Princess Charlotte starts nursery school
- Chelsea close in on Everton's Ross Barkley
- Fire breaks out in Trump Tower - Fire Dept.
- S. Korea proposes high-level dialogue with DPRK on January 9
- GoPro cuts 20 per cent of jobs, exits drone group